Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wednesday Penn Women's Mountan Bike Rides

I've been part of the Wednesday Penn Cycle Women's Rides for the last 11+ years - either as a ride leader or a rider. The rides started after I moved to MN because I wanted to try and meet some other women who were into the sport of mountain biking and Penn Cycle graciously agreed to be the host. Thanks Penn Cycle!


As I imagined, it was a great way for me to meet other riders and develop friendships. While many have come and gone, I still ride with lots of these women and every year I meet more women with the same love of biking. We have had a lot of fun times!


Fun. Fun. Fun. These rides are not training rides, no one gets dropped and we want everyone to have fun, enjoy the trail, learn something new and meet some friends. We want to help new riders feel more comfortable on their bike as well as allow more experienced riders the opportunity to challenge themselves and improve their skills.


Tomorrow the ride is at Terrace Oaks . We meet at the Eagan Penn Cycle at 6:00 and ride from there. Terrace is a great place for beginner riders because it lets your practice some basics --going around tight corners, how to maintain speed in some fun, windy, singletrack and learn some downhill skills. It's also good because it's short so you can go back again and practice the skills. Hope to see you all out there!


Valerie
"We all get 24 hours each day. We should spend that time living the life that makes sense to us."

1 comment:

Lindsay Hall-Stec said...

Hi Valerie,

I've actually been reading your blog for a while, as well. I figured I'd explain my last post a little further.

I've recently become frustrated with the culture among the women I race against in Indiana where it's not cool to take racing seriously unless you are already an expert and trying to make pro. Despite repeatedly being told "it's supposed to be fun", I've come to the conclusion that my fun comes from seeing the improvement I make when I push myself. So I've just decided to enjoy that and not worry what other people think.

It sounds like you understand that. Good luck and have a good rest of your season!

Lindsay