Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ready, Set, Go!

The last two weekends I spent in WI doing short, cross country races which are part of the Wisconsin Off Road Series. This is a great series -- a lot of fun races, great vibe and fun people.

The first was the Crystal Lake Classic in Rhinelander and the second was the Big Ring Classic in Wausau. Both courses were really fun and I was happy to be back in Wausau which has some of the best singletrack in the Midwest!

But to be completely honest, I'm not really happy with how I performed in either race. I expected better results and pretty much spent the last two days whining. Well....that all changed after I talked to my coach this morning. She reminded me that I had a hellish last few weeks of session but that I needed to stop whining and kick it into full speed. It was a good kick in the pants.

After all, I didn't stay committed to my training all winter long, with the hellacious work schedule, with 4:45 am workouts and Saturday winter rides in the cold to just show up and go at a comfortable pace. From now on, I'm putting it all on the line - consistent training and showing up for races confident and ready -- physically and mentally. For those still wondering why I do this, click here.

This weekend I'm doing my first endurance race of the season and I CAN'T WAIT! I'm doing a 6 hour solo race as part of the 12 Hours of John Muir. I've only ridden here once but had a blast and am excited about riding some new trails and some fun singletrack. I'm also looking forward to this race because some friends and family (Kevin's parents) will be there. It's always nice to have a cheering section!

Happy racing!



Valerie

"We all get 24 hours each day. We should spend that time living the life that makes sense to us." -- author unknown

1 comment:

Kim said...

good luck this weekend!