Tuesday, June 16, 2009

John Muir Race report

Saturday was my first endurance race of the year. I did a 6 hour race at John Muir in the Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest of WI. Going into it I was really nervous because of my race performance the last two weeks but things turned out much better than anticipated.

I didn't really know what to expect of the course because I've only ridden there once and couldn't really remember the trail. It was fun and fast with some good, short little hills and some fun windy, singletrack.

The best part of the race was how I felt. It all came together very nicely. I didn't let any weird mental garbage clog my brain and I was able to go at a consistent pace for each lap. I finished with 4 laps (44 miles) in 5 hours and 23 minutes. You have to be done before 6 hours is up otherwise I would have gone out for 1 more lap.

The next race is July 25th at the 24 Hours of 9 Mile in Wausau, WI. I'm doing the 12 hour solo event. Coach and I had another talk yesterday about training and we both agreed that the goal is to make me faster. I have the endurance so now I will spend my training working on speed. It should be fun!

No comments: