Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Hope

"Hope, in this deep and powerful sense, is not the same as joy that things are going well, or willingness to invest in enterprises that are obviously heading for success, but rather an ability to work for something because it is good." -- Vaclav Havel

We've been hearing a lot about hope lately and the quote above explains perfectly how I feel these days about the presidential election and the Democratic candidate, Barak Obama.

Here are some of the thoughts that I've had recently:

Sen. McCain says he cares about the little guy but how can someone who owns 13 cars, between 8-11 homes, and a wife who wore approximately $300,000 worth of clothing and jewelry on the last night of the Republican convention, have any idea what the average American is facing when they put gas in their cars and try and clothe and feed their family.

If you question Sarah Palin's experience you're called a sexist but I have seen nothing to indicate to me that she is prepared to be Vice President or President.

Sarah Palin has done very little to advance and protect women's rights.

I don't know that Barack Obama has all the answers and I know he will have difficult decisions to make should he win in November but I have hope in his values, belief system and his ideas about how to make this country better.

Note: I promise I won't inundate this blog with political debate but felt I needed to write about this presidential election because I believe a lot is at stake. If anyone wants to have a conversation about my comments, contact me at valeriejdosland@comcast.net.

No comments: