Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Superfun

Kevin and I headed up to Michigan on Friday to spend some time at the camp (cabin for Minnesotans)and to check out a local bike weekend called Superior Bike Fest in Marquette, MI. I was doing the cross country race on Sunday.

We were hoping to check out the downhill races but for various reasons only caught the tail end. Instead we pre-rode the cross country race course. It was really freaking fun and I got very excited for the race. It was a perfect course for me - fun, rocky technical sections; long, fast downhills. There was a lot of climbing but nothing terrible. I was really looking forward to the race on Sunday.

Even after doing so many races I still get nervous for the start. Like before the Afton race, I got sick again. But, I felt great after that and wasn't nervous anymore but a little worried that I hadn't warmed up at all. Oh well, I thought to myself. I had three goals for the race: 1) Have fun; 2) Finish; and 3) Don't finish last. I managed to accomplish all three goals.

The race started and reminded myself to just go at a comfortable pace and not worry about what was happening with the other women. The race started with a long, gradual fire road climb (a perfect climb for me) and then headed into some sweet, rocky singletrack. I was surprised at how good I felt at the start. I passed two women on the climb and was right behind two others going into the singletrack. I rode behind one woman on the first section of singletrack and passed her as soon as I got a chance. I then caught up to the other woman and passed her as soon as there was a break in the trail. I felt great so I decided to put as big of a gap I could in the singletrack I could because I figured she would catch up to me on the long climb. After this the course had some fun, fast downhills and one long climb that went on forever but it was never really bad. The entire time, the other racer was just behind me and I kept assuming she would pass me on the climb. I managed to stay in front and went into the last section of singletrack - a sweet, downhill with some tight switchbacks. I didn't ride this entire section the day before but again figured this would be where I could put another gap. I went as hard as I could for the second lap. I finished 4th overall and 1st in my age category. It was a super fun race and I was giddy at how good I felt.

Saturday is the 50 mile race at Levis Trow and I'm really looking forward to a long day of racing.

I have some pictures but I will post them later - blogger takes forever to load pictures and I'm running out of time. Off for another ride!

No comments: