Thursday, May 15, 2008

Ctrl-Alt-Del

My schedule has been a bit sporadic lately because of work and weather. Work primarily takes all my energy right now, mostly because of the uncertainty of things at the State Legislature. We are in the final days and legislative leaders and the Governor are trying to work together to solve a $935 million budget deficit. This means a lot of waiting and long hours at the Capitol but a weird need to be there for it all. Which means it's been hard for me to focus on training and good nutrition. For the most part, I bring all my food with me for the day but when I'm tired, and just want it all to be over, that's the last thing I want so I've been giving into a lot of unhealthy temptations lately. Oh well, life will get back to normal by Monday and I can get really serious about training. My first endurance race (a 100 mile mountain bike race) is the end of June and I’m getting nervous!

Although my training hasn't been as much as I want, I have been able to get out on the bike for some fun bike rides. Last Sunday, Nicole and I rode to a local bike race to cheer our friend Janet on in the Sport class. It was fun and made me even more excited to start racing.

I should have played the lottery last night. Usually this time of year, I am always working, but by an act of god, I didn't have to be at the Capitol last night. So, I went for a bike ride with Kevin, Janet, and Nicole. It was a great night and I had a blast mountain biking at Lebanon.

It’s amazing how intense my need is for fresh air and physical activity and how frustrated/depressed I get when I can’t get out for a bike ride. Between work and weather it’s been hard to get outside but after last night’s ride, all my frustration and sense of being in a rut is wiped away. It’s as if I hit ctrl-alt-del on my mental button and am reset. I’m happy, in a good a mood and feel great. Funny what an hour and half bike ride in the woods can do for me to make me feel that all is right with the world again.

Looking forward to sine die!

2 comments:

Janet said...

Hang in there. You're almost thru it.

You biked pretty hard last night. I don't think you have anything to be nervous about at all. It was obvious last night that your long rides are definately paying off. I think the deer you surprised on the trail would agree......I could barley keep up!

Valerie said...

Thanks for the encouragement!