Friday, March 26, 2010

What health care reform means to me

Late summer and early fall was a complete blur to me because I was in the midst of a cancer diagnosis and cancer treatment. As a result, I was not at all engaged in the health care fight in Congress. I should have been but to be honest, I was recovering from a radical hysterectomy, in a fog of depression, and exhausted and nauseous from chemotherapy and radiation.

However, it's been four and a half months since my last treatment. I had my first 3 month checkup and the doctors have given me a good prognosis. I finally feel like I'm back to myself and living a happy and full life. And now, I've been paying attention to the debate and am very happy the Democrats in Congress fought for this. It affects me personally but I also have a different lens to view the world with and passage of this bill, as Joe Biden so aptly stated, is a big F@!? deal! To see how it impacts me directly, read this article.

To me this video expresses a lot of what I've seen lately from the other side - a lot of anger and opposition without any real solutions. And, I don't consider allowing people to shop for health insurance from other states a real solution.